My Dead Sea Experience and Top Fascinating Facts
Just spent the last two days at the Dead Sea and I am so glad we took the 3 hour trip from Tel Aviv to see this magical place. Not only is it beautiful, but it actually has health benefits too.
As soon as we arrived, I had to test the waters…literally;) We decided to use the Mud (from the Dead Sea) to do a skin treatments that left our skin baby soft after drying for 15-20 minutes. Then it was time to rinse off in the sea. As you begin to walk into the water you start to see (and unfortunately feel) the rock salt that lays on the sea floor. When you attempt to take a seat, the first thing that’s noticeable is that your legs begin to float right back up to the surface. And your skin begins to feel oily (not sure about what scientifically causes that?) But it was such a unique experience.
Check out my experience and some fun facts here (and below):
There are a few rules for the Dead Sea too! It’s best to only stay in for 20 minutes or less because the salty water can dehydrate you. Also, there is NO splashing or getting your face submerged because it will sting! And shaving the day you go will not be a good idea. You also need to rehydrate with lots of water afterwards since the climate is also very dry. Also, be very careful you don’t get any of the water into your mouth, because you will get sick if you swallow it! But don’t let any of this scare you off…it wasn’t difficult to navigate all of this as a newbie!
So here are some fun facts about the Dead Sea:
- It’s the Lowest Point on earth…about 400 meters below sea level
- It’s actually a hypersaline lake that contains significant concentrations of sodium chloride or other mineral salts, much higher than the ocean.
- Due to the salinity being over 8x saltier than the ocean, nothing can live there (fish and aquatic plants), which is why it’s called “Dead”
- The Dead Sea’s unusually high salt concentration allows people to float easily in the Dead due to natural buoyancy.
- It was one of the world’s first health resorts specifically for Herod the Great.
- The health benefits are abundant! And people come from all over the world to treat health ailments.
- Dead Sea Salts contain 21 minerals including magnesium, calcium, sulfur, bromide, iodine, sodium, zinc and potassium which are known to treat, detoxify, and cleanse our bodies.
- Dead Sea Salt has been proven to relieve skin ailments such as acne, eczema and psoriasis and it slows down the aging process.
- Minerals such as magnesium, sodium and potassium enhance your skins ability to retain moisture, as well as being absorbed by the body and helping with blood circulation.
- It reduces stress and calms the central nervous system
- It helps strengthen bones and reduces joint inflammation, especially great for arthritis.
- The Dead Sea as well as the area’s climate also helps those with allergies and bronchial and respiratory issues such as cystic fibrosis.
- It’s super fun, relaxing and rejuvenating!