Golden Potato Chowder with Ham & Mushrooms
Don’t Underestimate Spuds: Potatoes have been treated unfairly over the years, but the redskins in this recipe provide about half of this recipe’s vitamin C and potassium – you’ll meet nearly 30% and 33% of your DV of the two nutrients, respectively, in 1 hearty serving. While the well-known immunity vitamin is also necessary for the formation of collagen and the healing of wounds, the mineral potassium may help lower blood pressure.
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb spaghetti squash, skin and seeds removed, flesh cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 lb redskin potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 6 oz nitrate- and nitrite-free, reduced-sodium, low-fat ham, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 oz. cream cheese
Here are your instructions:
In a large pot on medium, heat oil. Add onion, carrots and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in broth, squash, potatoes and sage. Bring soup to a boil on high, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in ham and heat through.
In a small pot on low, add milk and cream cheese. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute or until mixture is smooth. Ladle 1 cup soup into milk mixture and whisk. Pour milk mixture back into stockpot and stir to combine.
per serving (2 cups): Calories: 277, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 2.5 g, Monoun- saturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 38 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 19 g, Sodium: 520 mg, Cholesterol: 34 mg