Top 7 Toxic Supplement Ingredients to Look For
Ran across this news article from 2015 again and sadly, I’ve known this for a while, but needed to see this again! When I started studying nutrition, I started to realized and understand why so many of us are misinformed. It’s because many of these big brands spend billions to make us feel safe using their products, while the smaller companies with top grade ingredients (and a higher price tag) are lessor known and therefore, sometimes not trusted or have a hard time staying competitive in the market. I can’t begin to tell you the amount of people who become ingredient researchers when I show them some of the supplements I use, yet when Walmart, Target, GNC or CVS sells something, they automatically “trust” the product!
So, here’s my Top list of what ingredients you should look out for:
- Titanium Dioxide and other heavy metals – used as a filler to add pigments/colors…it’s a heavy metals like Lead, that are major HORMONE/Endocrine disrupters.
- Hydrogenated (or partially) Oils – Can block the absorption of essential fatty acids, upset blood sugar regulation leading to heart problems and stroke.
- Magnesium Stearate/Silicate or Talc – anti-caking agent that has similar effects to the lung as asbestos when ingested or inhaled
- Artificial Colors – Most “artificial” colors can even lead to hyperactivity and/or other neurological issues in children.
- Yeast extract – a hidden form of MSG (monosodium glutamate)
- GMOs – look for the sources on all the corn products like MALTODEXTRIN from GMO sources- a sweetener that’s (almost always) derived from GMO corn, Dextrose and Soy Lechitin. Make sure if the product you are using has these, that they are from non-GMOs
- SYNTHETIC VITAMINS/ISOLATES – Whole foods based vitamins use unique, bioavailable vitamins and minerals found in actual real foods, while synthetic vitamins are produced in a lab.
I chat more about this in the video as we as a story about a small company selling to a larger corporation that changed ingredients in increase profit margins, unbeknowst to it’s consumers.
My only hope is that this starts to open consumers eyes up to doing their own research and making more informed decisions about the integrity of the companies and ingredients behind the products that we use. I’m glad I saw this again today as a reminder, and I hope you are too!